Welcome to the
New York Product Stewardship Council Website
To promote product stewardship, also known as extended producer responsibility (EPR), as the priority policy for solid waste management, thereby shifting our waste management system from one focused on government funded and ratepayer financed waste diversion to one that relies on product stewardship in order to reduce public costs and drive improvements in product and packaging design that promote environmental sustainability.
The New York Product Stewardship Council works to implement the principles of product stewardship in New York State and the nation by:
- Developing and recommending workable product stewardship policies and providing educational tools to individuals, organizations, institutions, local governments, the state legislature and elected officials.
- Providing effective leadership and guidance on product stewardship initiatives.
- Coordinating and participating in product stewardship initiatives locally, regionally and nationally.
- Working with manufacturers and their trade associations to develop and implement workable product stewardship initiatives.
- Educating manufacturers, the public, elected officials and other decision makers on the benefits of product stewardship.
- Providing a forum for the exchange of information regarding existing and proposed product stewardship programs.
- Evaluating and, where necessary, recommending improvements to product stewardship programs once they are instituted.
What is Product Stewardship?
Product Stewardship, or Extended Producer Responsibility, is an environmental management strategy that means whoever designs, produces, sells, or uses a product takes responsibility for minimizing the product's environmental impact throughout all stages of the products' life cycle, including end of life management. The greatest responsibility lies with whoever has the most ability to affect the full life cycle environmental impacts of the product. This is most often the producer of the product, though all within the product chain of commerce have roles.
Posted 12/21/2012 - 06:24 by marjorie
Posted 12/20/2012 - 14:46 by marjorie